Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Links to Learn More About Paleo



Wheat,the antagonist? Yes!


I became intrigued when I stumbled on a video that states, "what if fat doesn't make you fat?" That got my attention and so the exploration began. I was on a mission. I've read numerous amounts of articles and books on the subject, and watched videos and listened to podcasts. Below are several You Tube videos from experts on this subject.

Much of this paleo/caveman and sugarless diets sounds very similar to the Atkins Diet, which excludes wheat, any type of grains and sugar. Some paleo/caveman diets include small amounts of dairy as Atkins does, yet excludes coffee, and says no to artificial sugar too.

"All fats are not equal", according to Robert Lustig, MD. Many people feel free to gorge on fats of all kinds when many fats are not healthy for us. Omega 6 is just one example of an unhealthy fat.
Listen to Jimmy Moore- Livin' La Vida Low-Carb
This discussion is with guest Dr. Robert Lustig explaining the differences between the Atkins and Paleo diets. Also, other informative information about differences between fats, including more insight of Dr. Lustig's professional opinion of foods okay for a healthy diet. Podcast #640
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/livin-la-vida-low-carb-show/id324601605

Grains today are making us sick!
To me, Atkins was the leader of this movement. Perhaps there were others before him. Of course, I'm  referring to my dieting lifetime.

Since I've been following a paleo diet, I have notice some positive changes. In bed, when I would lie on my side I wheezed. Once I excluded wheat from my diet, my whizzing ceased. I thought that was interesting. A side benefit I was not expecting.


Just who was responsible for this disaster?

 



USDA Food Pyramid


This food pyramid was a sample of what the American diet should consist of in order to obtain optimum health. Read the above link to understand how this came about. After you learn how our food has gone wrong, and once you've regained your composure, find the time to read about the people that I believe to promote a healthier way of eating.

Learn about Dr. Lustig here: http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Dr-Robert-Lustig-crusades-against-sugar-4160268.php#page-2


Robert Lustig, MD



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM  -Dr. Robert Lustig- Sugar: The Bitter Truth


 


Gary Taubes


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o




William Davis, MD
 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw


Robb Wolf

http://robbwolf.com/
Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution, is a former research biochemist and one of the world’s leading experts in Paleolithic nutrition. Wolf has transformed the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world via his top ranked iTunes podcast and wildly popular seminar series.


Robb is a genius! I enjoy listening to his podcast. There's just a couple of small issues that I have with him.

1) I'm too old and out of shape for his talk about cross fit training. I get winded just listening to him chat about it. However, young athletic fans will find his information helpful to them.
2) He is a biochemist and I'm not. Sometimes I get lost listening to his podcast because he can be too detailed about what's happening to the body on a cellular level.
3) Maybe I missed the particular podcast about older people enjoying a Paleolithic diet. It's probably more difficult for us to follow this method because after 50+ years of eating in a certain way, we have to approach this diet somewhat different than the athletic 20 year old. We might have different needs in order to sustain a healthy body and mind. Do we? I really don't know.


Loren Cordain - Origins and Evolution of the Western Diet:

Health Implications for the 21st Century.

 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=5dw1MuD9EP4&feature=endscreen

http://thepaleodiet.com/what-to-eat-on-the-paleo-diet

While our books on The Paleo Diet provide much more detail on the foods you should and shouldn’t eat, here is a basic scheme of things:

Eat:

  • Grass-produced meats
  • Fish/seafood
  • Fresh fruits and veggies
  • Eggs
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Healthful oils (Olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

Don’t eat:

You will survive well on non-grass-fed meat. Make sure they're lean cuts. Okay to eat the fat of grass-fed meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment